Saturday, March 10, 2012

David Platt

I'm not sure if you all are familiar with David Platt, but he is a pastor with a great heart for living out the gospel. He is extremely challenging and real about what the gospel means and how we need to be living in light of what the Bible says. Dave and I have listened to a number of sermons of his over the last year or two, and this past week I began his book, Radical. The subtitle is "Taking back your faith from the American dream." I've realized I really enjoy books that challenge you...I don't do real well with touchy-feely kind of books. Here's a quote from the first chapter as he reflects on the differences between his new mega-church and the time fellowshipping with an underground house church in Asia:
But as a new pastor comparing the images around me that day (his 1st Sunday as pastor) with the pictures still fresh in my mind of brothers and sisters on the other side of the world, I could not help but think that somewhere along the way we had missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it with what is comfortable. We were settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves. 
We took James up skiing for the first time today...
I thought I had more pics, but all the rest were videos



No comments: