Saturday, April 14, 2012

Homeschool Happenings

Whew, it's been almost three months since I've posted something about homeschool! That's probably because we're kind of in the in-between time, not quite looking to next year and pretty well set on the current year. However, this week has been a bit challenging in the homeschool arena - I don't know if it is because we're just coming off spring break, but there has been lots of grouchies and pesteries going on this week. Thankfully, I know God is in control both in giving me these certain kids and by having us homeschool at this point. So, I needed to be more diligent in going to Him for help, and, as always, He provides.

So, a couple of things...one, testing time is almost upon us. I thought I'd put the main links I look at for help to know what will be on the tests. I wouldn't say I teach to the test, but I do make sure that my kids actually know what they are expected to know, and thus see on the test. 

Test questions/examples - we will actually do pretty much all examples, and even do additional like examples
Test and item specs - this helps to know exactly how many of each specific items will be on the test
Performance level descriptors - this is another means I use of making sure we are covering all the areas

Two, here are a couple of random websites that might be of interest to you:

Literature Genres - we've finished our reading program for the year, and I plan to move to focusing (and perhaps writing) on specific genres
Souptoys - I don't know if I've already put this down, but it is a fun, free, imaginative "game"
Fantastic Contraption - a physics puzzle game
Lightbot - basic, early programming type game
Here's the website I found the previous two games from and it has many other recommendations for starting kids on programming (I think we are pretty likely going to get Josh (group gift) Lego Mindstorms for his bday)
30 Truths about Homeschooling - just a good reminder

And, lastly, we spent most of the day reorganizing our classroom. I think part of the reason math has been a struggle is because the kids sit on the couch for most of it and that creates lots more opportunity for fooling around, being distracted, etc. So, now the desks have been placed to face the board rather than having the couch face the board. We'll see how it goes...

 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: