I was reading in my One Year Bible this morning and every time I read John 3, I am struck by John the Baptist's humility. You see a man that completely understands his place and his purpose. John is only here to reflect Christ, to bring glory to Him, "He must become greater, I must become less." He's not in it for himself...he's not trying to get as many followers as possible...he's not jealous of another's success. He knows all he has is a gift from heaven, "A man can receive only what is given him from heaven." It's so important to not lose sight of God's greater work in the world. We may not be achieving what we feel we should for the kingdom, we may even be losing some people in our sphere of influence, but if we are being true to the Lord, He will take care of that. Maybe He is even moving some people to grow through another person. Man is so focused on numbers, we should rather be focused on our faithfulness. We must always remember we are the sent ones, not to gain honor for ourselves, but for the Lord alone. May we learn from John's great example...
Also, maybe you hadn't really noticed this either, but this passage speaks about Jesus baptizing...for some reason I hadn't really recognized that before...interesting...
Dave and I love visual examples, they always helps us, but I think our builder thought we were a bit funny

No comments:
Post a Comment