Slow down - yes, I know we're Americans, and Americans have sooooo much to do. But, in our doing, we miss the being...we miss the small delights around us. You can't rush with littles...I think they can be a way God forces us to slow down and look at the horses on the hill or listen to the sounds a vacuum makes. You just have to remember in those years that you can't do everything, you can't be in every ministry, and you can't have a night life (I still dislike going out at night generally). :) That's okay because what you are trading those things for is the opportunity to form a soul...to make a disciple...to, Lord willing, be an example that points them to Christ.
Involve them - one practice I tried to stick to was "don't do anything while the kiddos are asleep that you can't do while they're awake." That meant I didn't clean the house after they went to bed or folded laundry while they napped. I included them as much as possible even though it takes 10 times as long. Doing that accomplished two things...one, it taught them to work when they actually wanted to work rather than wanting them to work once they are actually old enough to really help and they would now rather play...two, it left me some actual "free" time to just sit and read, or sleep, or catch up on whatever was needed.
Enjoy the moments - I didn't do this all that well many times, but now that my kiddos are more than halfway out of the house! I am thankful for the times I did. "The days are long, but the years are short" is so true. You'll never get the moments back so take a deep breath and read another story or stop the dusting and join in their play.
Well, that's all for now...I need to get to bed...another busy day tomorrow. :)
isn't that a great smile!
my little dishwasher helper
sweet older sister climbing under the table
No comments:
Post a Comment