Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Growing Up

Time marches on regardless of my desire to stop it or at least slow it down. The kids seem to have reached yet another new stage in life. They are no longer little people generally oblivious to the world around them...now they are keen observers...watching, questioning, evaluating. I don't know when or how it happened, yet it has. It is exciting to see their maturity, but sobering to see them becoming their own person and making their own way in the world. No longer can I spout off great and marvelous truths without the life to back it up. :) They are seeing if I really live what I say I believe.

So, what are the primary things I wish to cultivate in my kiddos? I guess they boil down to 1)Love to God and 2)Love to man as Christ clearly taught were the greatest commandments. Notice the things that don't make that list...academic achievement, good looks, attaining the most stuff. Even though most of us as parents wouldn't say we focus on those things, we oftentimes do by our words and actions. When I praise more for a good grade than I do a loving act, that shows my priorities. It's better to praise the character behind the grade (hard work, diligence, etc.), and we need to remember to give God the glory at those times. When my kiddos see more time spent on my outward appearance than in the Word, that shows my priorities. I think we can't underestimate how much our children pick up on how we use our time. The biggest challenge that's been for me lately is how much I am on my computer...especially with getting connected to Facebook! Yikes! When I'm discontent with what I have and grumble about it rather than showing a spirit of gratitude in all things, that shows my priorities. Truly loving God allows me to be thankful in all circumstances knowing they come to me through my loving heavenly Father. The examples could go on and on. So now as I go about my day, I am more aware of what priorities my life is speaking...what my kids are seeing in all the many spoken and unspoken parts of life.

Even though we have the very high calling to train and nurture our kids, it's such a blessing to rest in the comfort that God is the perfect parent even when I am not. Thankful for God's grace in all areas of life...

Here are the soaps I made a few weeks back all ready
to enter into the Soap Swap - I'm super excited to see which
ones I end up getting back...I'll post pictures of that later :)




No comments: