Friday, June 17, 2011

Today's Schooling Thoughts

This morning I called VAL and have officially removed Hannah and Josh from the program. Since it has been decided, I've started thinking about all the endless possibilities...ahhhh. Actually, it's been quite fun. Anyways, my favorite thought at the moment is homeschooling year round - it was something I thought about way back when before our commitment to the public school schedule with VAL. You can do it by going a certain number of weeks and then taking a couple of weeks off, but I think the way we might try it is going 3 days on, 2 days off per week.

My hope is that the kiddos would be more diligent and disciplined (is that just wishful thinking?!?!?) with less days of school per week, and also that it would free us up to be more available and able to serve as well as engendering more open times for creativity. The specific days per week would also flex based upon what is happening from week to week. If we decide to go up skiing on Friday, then we would school on Thursday that week, for example.

Another good aspect of that schedule is that there wouldn't be major summer skill loss. We already do a bit of school over the summer to help with that, but this would be much more seamless. We'd just go from one book to the next, skipping the many chapters of review. I am also looking forward to doing the "fun things" at home. Here's a very tentative schedule I put together with all sorts of fun options for our "off" days.

And, lastly, a friend of mine and I have been talking about doing a little homeschool group - maybe every other week (anyone else interested in that?). Something that could include things like science experiments, writing, public speaking, book club, arts/crafts, etc. Having this looser schedule would let me feel more free and available to add that in.

So, those are my current thoughts. Since comments are working, what do you think? Am I crazy or is this my greatest idea ever? ;)

Some pics of the watermelon eating contest at VAL's end of the year picnic today



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your thoughts and hope that your implimentation will go smoothly. I think you should actually take those ideas and become the director of a new Christian School for Wenatchee. I like your scheduling and discipline in all studies - especially the LIFE studies in showing children at a young age how to do things and be responsible.