4. Know your limits. It doesn't help anyone if you commit to lead something that will put you over your head. A stressed-out, overwhelmed leader makes everyone else stressed-out and overwhelmed. We all have a limited amount of time in our lives, and there are many things we are asked to do that do not fit what God would have us do with our limited time. Be willing to say no, knowing that is allowing you to say yes to other things that are more important in your life. I have to interject a favorite quote of mine on this topic...
Here is the secret Jesus showed us, “I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.” Jesus didn’t finish everything the disciples wanted Him to do, the multitudes wanted Him to do, but He did finish the work God gave Him to do. There is virtually never time in a twenty-four-hour day for me to do everything that is on everyone else’s “to do” list for me. There is seldom time to do everything that is on my own “to do” list. The truth is that all I have to do is the work God assigns to me. What a freedom it has been for me to accept that there is time for me to do everything that is on God’s “to do” list for my day, for my week, and for my life. The frustration comes when I attempt to take responsibilities that are not on His agenda for me. When I establish my own agenda or let others determine the priorities for my life, rather than taking time to discern what it is that God wants me to do, I end up buried under piles of half-finished, poorly done, or never-attempted projects and tasks. I live with guilt, frustration, and haste, rather than enjoying the peaceful, well-ordered life that He intends. Frustration is the by-product of attempting to fulfill responsibilities God does not intend for us to carry. Freedom, joy, and fruitfulness come from seeking to determine God’s priorities for each season of life, and then setting out to fulfill those priorities, in the power of His Spirit, realizing that He has provided the necessary time and abilities to do everything that He has called us to do. --- Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free5. Lead a lot. We have lived many places over the years and attended many different churches. Every place we've been, I've participated in some capacity whether it was nursery, organizing showers or potlucks, or teaching women's bible study or Sunday school. The more you lead, the more comfortable you'll be. The more you lead with different types of people, the more you'll learn about how to lead in different ways - everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, I have very few unique thoughts...most of what I say/do comes from seeing/reading someone else saying/doing that same thing. And, I wouldn't know those things had I not been willing to participate at all sorts of levels in all sorts of things over these many years.
Well, that's it...I haven't really pulled in too many spiritual aspects of all this leading, but I expect you already know the importance of being in prayer especially when what you are leading has some spiritual value - depending on the Spirit in that situation is critical. My desire was mostly to highlight some practical aspects that have helped me. Hope this short series gave you some encouragement to lead stronger in what you are already doing or become willing to lead in a new adventure.
Hannah's Terra Cotta Warrior
1 comment:
Thanks, Wendy! This series has been encouraging to me. I just started reading "Radical" as well, so thanks for the recommendation. Also, I'm glad it appears you found your camera when you needed it! :)
Post a Comment