Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day Thoughts

This year I had a most lovely Mother's Day...maybe even one of the best. It was simple, yet sweet. As I was thinking about it, I realized that it was so wonderful mostly because I have had a perspective change over the last many years...no longer do I feel entitled to certain things. Earlier on in my life each holiday such as my birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, even Valentine's Day would hold a bit of hope for me...hope that it would be idyllic, just exactly what I always wanted (or at least somewhat close), etc., etc. But, as each came and went, that never really happened. At times I would be frustrated or disappointed. Now, however, I don't feel those ways anymore because I have learned to do a couple of important things...

Remove all expectations. Expectations are relationship killers. We want such and such, but it doesn't happen so we become cranky, upset, frustrated, hurt, or whatever. The less you expect, the more delighted you will be whenever something nice comes along. If you wake up on Mother's Day and expect to make the meals, do the dishes, take care of the kids, clean your house just the same as any other day, how wonderful it will be if someone else does even one of those things for you! How different from if you expect someone else to make the meals, do the dishes, take care of the kids, and clean your house but one or more of those things doesn't get done - now you're somewhat resentful. Do you see how helpful letting go of expectations is?

Be thankful for the little things. When you realize every little good thing is truly a gift you don't deserve, you will find so much to delight in. Open your eyes and look around and choose to see the many blessings you have been given...maybe your husband doesn't get you a dozen roses and a box of chocolates, but he works hard each day to provide for your family...maybe your kiddos didn't make you a work of art or buy you something fancy, but they lavish you with hugs and kisses. Choose to take notice of all the many things you take for granted or think you're entitled to and become appreciative of them.

Remember that Christ is more than enough. This is something we all agree is true but often live as if our happiness depends on something/someone being a certain way. However, the disappointments in this world turn us to the One Who will never disappoint. As we grasp after what the world tells us we deserve, but find it empty, it turns us to the One Who truly satisfies. His blessings to us are beyond measure. We deserve death but have been given life, abundant life. How can we not rejoice in that knowledge alone? 2 Pet 1:3 His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

our Mother's Day bike ride




No comments: