Loving well has been something I've been pondering lately because it is not something I excel at in many ways. I'm much more of a pragmatist...doing what is right because it is right, but the Bible calls us to a higher standard. So, when I was asked to say a few words at a friend's baby shower, my thoughts went to what I had been contemplating but with a focus on loving our children. Here's my outline...hope it will be a blessing and encouragement to you as you parent your children.
God’s Great Love
Love provided the way for salvation – “For God so loved the world” – John 3:16a
---We did not initiate love
---We did not deserve love
---We did not understand even our need for love
---We did not initiate love
---We did not deserve love
---We did not understand even our need for love
Love sacrificed on our behalf – “that He gave His only Son” – John 3:16b
---The nature of love is giving
---The nature of love is giving
Love changed our status – “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God” – 1 Jn 3:1
---The extent of love is beyond reason
Lavished – not just a measly portion
Called children – did not just save, but made part of His family
---The extent of love is beyond reason
Lavished – not just a measly portion
Called children – did not just save, but made part of His family
Love controls us – “For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” 2 Cor 5:14-15
---The response to love is a changed life – we no longer live for ourselves, but Christ
How does God’s love change us?
---The response to love is a changed life – we no longer live for ourselves, but Christ
How does God’s love change us?
Love becomes our character – “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” 1 John 4:7-8
---Love flows from God through us – we are His conduit
---It is an evidence that we are God’s people
---Love flows from God through us – we are His conduit
---It is an evidence that we are God’s people
Love becomes our goal – “For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Gal 5:14
---We don’t need to wonder what God would have us do...He has called us to love
---We don’t need to wonder what God would have us do...He has called us to love
Love becomes our motive – “And yet I will show you the most excellent way. If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” 1 Cor 13:1-3
---No matter how great we are or what great things we do, without love, we are nothing and we gain nothing.
---Very sobering…love is the critical piece
It is hard to love well…it is hard to love undeserving people sacrificially with pour-it-all-out type of love. I think it is particularly hard to love our children well because parenting becomes such a duty, and we forget the love. We lose sight of God’s overwhelmingly, incredible sacrifice on our behalf that enables us to love well.
A description of God-like love towards our children (1 Cor 13:4-6)---Patient – Do I respond patiently when the baby is teething, the toddler is yelling, the 6th grader isn’t doing their homework, or the high schooler mutters under their breath?
---Kind – Do I respond kindly when I am changing a wiggly baby, when the toddler begs for one more story, when our kiddos want to show us another of their creations, when the tween comes out with a wacky hair style?
---Doesn’t envy – am I happy for my children’s freedom and carefree days or do I want to throw my hands up in despair and grumble about all I have to get done?
---Doesn’t boast (this was the hardest one for me to find an example) – do we frequently remind our children of how great we were as kids or compare them to others?
---Is not rude – Do I respond with frustration to the toddler’s inquiry to finger paint, or talk down to a child when they are struggling with a simple math equation, or belittle a teen for making a poor choice?
---Does not insist on its own way – do we demand perfection according to our definition from our kids rather than allowing freedom for individual personalities and strengths? Do we selfishly organize our days so that our wants are met rather than seeking to die to self?
---Is not irritable – do we take our frustrations out on our kids? Do we snap at them and treat them in a way we wouldn't treat anyone else?
---Keeps no record of wrongs – do we label our children as “the lazy one” or “the cranky one” or “the bossy one”?
---Does not rejoice at wrongdoing – are we willing to look the other way when disobedience occurs because we just don’t want to deal with it right now?
---Rejoices with the truth – are we always directing our children to the truths of God’s word? Is their spiritual development of primary importance to us?
---No matter how great we are or what great things we do, without love, we are nothing and we gain nothing.
---Very sobering…love is the critical piece
It is hard to love well…it is hard to love undeserving people sacrificially with pour-it-all-out type of love. I think it is particularly hard to love our children well because parenting becomes such a duty, and we forget the love. We lose sight of God’s overwhelmingly, incredible sacrifice on our behalf that enables us to love well.
A description of God-like love towards our children (1 Cor 13:4-6)---Patient – Do I respond patiently when the baby is teething, the toddler is yelling, the 6th grader isn’t doing their homework, or the high schooler mutters under their breath?
---Kind – Do I respond kindly when I am changing a wiggly baby, when the toddler begs for one more story, when our kiddos want to show us another of their creations, when the tween comes out with a wacky hair style?
---Doesn’t envy – am I happy for my children’s freedom and carefree days or do I want to throw my hands up in despair and grumble about all I have to get done?
---Doesn’t boast (this was the hardest one for me to find an example) – do we frequently remind our children of how great we were as kids or compare them to others?
---Is not rude – Do I respond with frustration to the toddler’s inquiry to finger paint, or talk down to a child when they are struggling with a simple math equation, or belittle a teen for making a poor choice?
---Does not insist on its own way – do we demand perfection according to our definition from our kids rather than allowing freedom for individual personalities and strengths? Do we selfishly organize our days so that our wants are met rather than seeking to die to self?
---Is not irritable – do we take our frustrations out on our kids? Do we snap at them and treat them in a way we wouldn't treat anyone else?
---Keeps no record of wrongs – do we label our children as “the lazy one” or “the cranky one” or “the bossy one”?
---Does not rejoice at wrongdoing – are we willing to look the other way when disobedience occurs because we just don’t want to deal with it right now?
---Rejoices with the truth – are we always directing our children to the truths of God’s word? Is their spiritual development of primary importance to us?
Hannah and I got our hair cut last week...I keep thinking I'll take a better picture, but haven't yet

No comments:
Post a Comment