Friday, January 4, 2013

The Book Club

A month or so ago, I alluded to the fact that our GC group is starting a book club. However, it is really just now actually getting started so I thought I'd give you all some info about it in case you'd like to start one as well. Since it's taking place in our neighborhood, I've been the primary one to figure out how it's going to work. I must say I never realized how complicated it was to choose books that most people should like and that don't have any (or at least little) questionable matter in them. :) Last night I spent the evening finalizing the selections for 2013 (we're reading one every two months)...here they are:

The Shadow of the WindThe Shadow of the Wind - Zafon
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without ThinkingBlink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Gladwell

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Shaffer

EmmaEmma - Austen
A Thousand Splendid SunsA Thousand Splendid Suns - Hosseini

Please note that I haven't read any of these, and they are not meant to be Christian selections...so, if you read them, be discerning. I'll write a review as we finish them.

For any of you that may be thinking about starting a book club, here are some helpful links:

How to Start a Book Club
LitLovers
and, of course, Oprah's Book Club

If you live in Wenatchee, our library system is quite an amazing help for book clubs. They have a whole section dedicated on their website to book clubs and even have a specific contact for book clubs. Anyone who is interested in creating one is able to do that, and they will set aside books for your club to check out. Let me know if you want more info. Happy Reading...

No comments: