Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent Idea

Just thought I'd share an advent plan I have with you all. We are not necessarily big into the whole advent idea, but I do like to orient our minds as much as possible on beneficial things during this holiday season as there are so many ways to become self-focused at this time of year.
Each year starting Dec 1 we have what is called "the candy box" for lack of a better name that the kids open after dinner. There are 24 little drawers that have some sort of a treat inside for them. This year I'm also going to add a "surprise" and a slip of paper with the corresponding information and bible passage. That makes more sense if you look at this link. Basically, we'll just include a short scripture reading and a comment/question or two each day. I think this will be particularly nice for James as he knows so little of the familiar bible stories my kids know so well. Plus it just reminds us again what a blessing Jesus is and how much He has done for us. Feel free to put any of your advent plans in the comments if you would like. :)
---Also, I meant to post the recipe for those sugar cookies the other day - definitely the best sugar cookie recipe I've ever made - overall soft and chewy and roll out well. I used 1 1/2 T vanilla and 1/2 T almond (I may use 1 T vanilla and 1 T almond next time) instead of the butter flavoring.
Josh felt like he should mix up the boxes this year
Posted by Picasa

No comments: