Last night we had some of our dearest friends over...three other families that we have been close with for a number of years. We always have a most delightful time and are surprised how quickly four hours goes by. The kids run right in and we never see them except to eat. It is interesting to me that none of us attend the same churches and we school differently. As I was thinking how special those times are, it got me to thinking why those relationships have a depth that few others do...
1. There is no "show". I don't worry about having dust on my furniture or not having matching cups. My hair may be crazy, and there may be sticky stuff on the floor...and that's okay. We feel totally open and at home with each other. There is no feeling of not measuring up, no pressure to have things a certain way. That is very freeing.
2. We all pitch in. No one is doing a huge portion of the work. Everyone brings something to contribute and everyone helps get things back in order. Last night one friend and I were talking while the other two were busy bees in the kitchen getting everything cleaned up, and even starting the dishwasher! And, I'm sure they didn't mind doing it. We look for ways to serve one another...there is nothing that one of us isn't willing to do for the others.
3. We ask questions and we listen. We genuinely care about what is going on in others lives. No one is dominating the conversation, and no one isn't willing to be open and vulnerable. We rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those who mourn.
4. We see where needs are. One of the friends is moving, so we're planning some time to go over and help out. I have complete confidence that if I ever needed anything any one of these ladies would be ready in a minute to be there for me. Although we're all busy, being willing to serve others is a priority.
5. We talk about anything and everything. Last night our conversation ranged from cleaning out behind refrigerators to dealing with teenagers...from grouting fireplaces to challenges with church. We are willing to share our joys and trials...we are also willing to be encouraged and challenged by the others. We care enough for each other to speak the truth in love. That doesn't happen too much these days.
Well, that's all I'm coming up with right now, and I really should be prepping for BSF tomorrow...2 Cor 8-13...should be good.

No comments:
Post a Comment