Monday, October 1, 2012

1st Month Recap

It is somewhat shocking to me that it is already October! I'm not sure where Sept went, but we sure were busy. That busyness caused there to not be a lot of really good, consistent school, but we actually did accomplish a pretty good amount looking back...

Personal work (stuff the kids are given to do on their own and turn in on Friday):
Math - Abeka 6 is going well with very little input from me although we go over missed problems the following week
Handwriting: I had to drop Josh back to just working on basic letter form (his handwriting is terrible), Hannah is enjoying her quote and jokes handwriting
Spelling: the words have been quite difficult so far, Hannah is a good speller so does fine, but Josh has struggled a bit
Paragraph Editing: just getting going on that

Other:
Science - love, love, loving Apologia science on the human body - so far some already fun experiments and great information - probably my favorite one yet
History - Mystery of History has been going well - I'm liking it better this year, pretty similar to SOTW, but with a decidedly Christian view - still not many good activities though, I actually purchased SOTW II to pull some of their activities in, but just haven't had the time to do that
Spanish - pretty pitiful amount done so far
Grammar - the kids seem to really be enjoying Giggly Guide to Grammar - the author does a good job at using some quite clever examples for the kids to work on - it does make the exercise take a bit longer, though, because of the laughing and some explaining that is needed. Here's a couple examples, "After dining on a scrumptious meal of frog legs and chips, the beautiful princess was distraught to learn that she had just eaten her Prince Charming." and "During the day, Barney flips burgers, and every night he earns extra cash as a speed bump." 

I also made up a form for each week that seems like it will work well and help me remember what the kids are supposed to be doing. I have a hard time keeping track of what all has been assigned. It also has a spot for other if work needs to be redone from the previous week. 


I also wanted to give an update on the "grand experiment" of last year's homeschooling. We did three days on, two days off, not really year round. I was wondering how the kids would do on their required test for the year with a much less rigorous schedule than we had previously held. So, we received our test scores last week, and the kids did great! To be honest, I felt that they would do just fine, and it was a great confirmation that they did. :)

Hooray that October is here and hopefully things will slow down a bit and get more routine...hope you all have had a good start to your school years...

some pics from King Tut
 
 
 
 


Posted by Picasa

No comments: