I wanted to share a favorite coffee cake recipe with all of you...for some reason I've made it a couple of times lately and it's always yummy! :) You can put most any kind of berry in it, but it is a particularly good combination to have blueberries and rhubarb.
Bluebarb Coffee Cake
from a Gold Medal Baking Magazine
Crumb Topping (see below)
2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening (I generally use softened butter)
3/4 c milk
1 egg
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries
1 c fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) chopped rhubarb
Vanilla Glaze (see below)
Heat oven to 375. Grease springform pan, 9x3 inches, or square pan, 9x9 inches. Make crumb topping; set aside.
Mix remaining ingredients except blueberries, rhubarb and glaze in large bowl; beat 30 seconds (I generally just mix with a spoon). Fold in blueberries and rhubarb. Spread into pan. Sprinkle with topping.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake (not fruit) comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan if desired. Drizzle glaze over warm coffee cake.
Crumb Topping
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c firm butter
Mix sugar, flour, and cinnamon in small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly.
Vanilla Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 to 2 tsp hot water
1/4 t vanilla
Mix all ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
Cooking tip: Grate cold butter with cheese grater rather than cutting it in. I never like cutting in butter.
here are some baby pics

No comments:
Post a Comment