Today was such a lovely day...little pressure to get anything done other than just the day-to-day type things. Dave's been on call this week so I haven't even needed to make dinner. :) We had a regular, full day of school that went well overall, read a bunch together, took a short nap (I often try to get 15-30 min in during afternoon reading/computer time), and began planting outside.
I know it is probably a bit premature, but it's been quite warm and the kids were itching to get started. I'm not sure what got them focused on it, but earlier this week they were writing out lists of plants they wanted to buy - even looking things up in the gardening book. Hannah had a little garden area last year, but this year Josh also wanted to join in. For some reason they were particularly fixated on planting Bleeding Hearts. We do have one of those plants already that is quite lovely, and they each wanted one of their own.
So, on shopping-day Tuesday, I went through Walmart's garden section and picked some things out. Also, while I was at Home Depot, I purchased some of those lovely new plastic garden tools that won't rust when kids leave them outside time after time. :) They're pretty sturdy and seem to work normally.
The ground is so nice and easy to turn over right now after the rain yesterday so all went smoothly while planting except not having enough room for everything. I also transplanted my hydrangea that was getting roasted to death last year and my hibiscus that was getting wind-beaten to death...hopefully they'll both do better in their new homes.
Well, I know this isn't a particularly edifying or really beneficial post, but I so enjoy days like this where I can just tend to my household and get things done surrounded by at least two of my favorite people.
