Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Donate Now or Depend on God?

For those of you that are astute followers of mine, you will have noticed I didn't post a Missions Monday entry yesterday. After I got back from BSF last night, I sat down and began to write about the next group on the list, but as I was getting the website to link to, I saw a big Donate Now button front and center on their webpage - quite a turn off, so I decided not to post. Instead, I decided tonight to post George Mueller's perspective on how to wait on God for needed monies...very refreshing (there are still some organizations that take this approach, OMF and Heartcry are two that come to mind)...

1. Not to receive any fixed salary, both because in the collecting of it there was often much that was at variance with the freewill offering with which God’s service is to be maintained, and in the receiving of it a danger of placing more dependence on human sources of income than in the living God Himself.

2. Never to ask any human being for help, however great the need might be, but to make his wants known to the God who has promised to care for His servants and to hear their prayer.

3. To take this command (Luke 12: 33) literally, ‘Sell that thou hast and give alms,’ and never to save up money, but to spend all God entrusted to him on God’s poor, on the work of His kingdom.

4. Also to take Romans 8: 8, ‘Owe no man anything,’ literally, and never to buy on credit, or be in debt for anything, but to trust God to provide.

If for some reason you are unaware of who George Mueller is, I highly recommend that you put reading a biography of his life at the top of your reading list...you won't be disappointed.

It's funny to look at this picture now as Josh has almost caught up in height to Hannah