Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Granola

My husband in wonderful in many ways, and one of those ways is that he is generally a simple eater. He eats the same thing for breakfast and lunch most every day. He does, however, enjoy a variety of dinner foods. :) Granola is his breakfast of choice and there was a specific type of granola he liked best from the store. Then, one day, that granola was no longer sold! What's a wife to do!??!?! Make her own, I guess... A delightful friend at church gave Dave some homemade granola a few years ago that he liked so I called her for the recipe and have then changed it a bit since. Here it is:

Granola

3/4 c butter melted, not super hot
3/4 c honey
1/2 c brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
12 c old fashioned oats

Now, all these ingredients are completely subject to change pending on how you like your granola - you can make it sweeter, more cinnamony, etc. My friend uses oil rather than butter as well.

Measure out the oats into a large mixing bowl. Add in the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Then pour in the melted butter and honey and mix it all together so that the oats are well coated. Dump into a large pan - I use a 10x15 glass baking dish and it fits well. Bake - this is also subject to variation - this last time I baked it at 225 for 2 hours and it gave it a more toasty taste. The original recipe said to bake at 200 for 2 hours. You will need to give it a stir every half hour or so.

As you can see, you can't really mess this up. You can also add in nuts (in with the oats, I suppose) or dried fruit (added after baking). I generally just add in something random each morning as I dish it up for Dave - he's not a big nut guy so I don't add those - cranberries, apricots, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, mango, etc. Also, this is not a clumpy granola (not sure how to do it that way), but more of a loose granola. The way this recipe is written is also not particularly sweet so add more honey or brown sugar if you like it sweet. Hope you enjoy!

Posted by Picasa