Saturday, June 2, 2012

Deceived

This week I've been thinking a bit about how successful Satan is at deceiving me in many areas of life. After all, he is the "father of lies" and is smart enough not to try to feed me an outright lie, but rather one that has some bit of truth in it. I so often buy into the thought that God is keeping me from better things and what would really be nice...now I would never say that out loud, but my actions attest to it. 

Some examples from this last week would be things like...

"You went to bed a little later and are tired, why don't you just sleep in a little longer and get around to your devotions later?" Yes, it is true that I don't have to do my bible reading first thing, but if I give in to sleeping in that bit more, it is often very hard to find time later to get my quiet time in. Also, really once I'm up, I rarely notice that I'm more tired because I got up that half hour earlier. God promises if I seek Him first, everything else will fall into place (Mt 6:33). 

"Those cookies sure a good, why don't you eat a few more?" Yes, it is okay to eat cookies, but if I'm not really hungry and already had one or two, aren't I becoming self-indulgent? Shouldn't I use self-control and eat in moderation...maybe have an apple if I'm still hungry? God gave us our appetite, and He gave us a multitude of delicious things, but we need to make sure our god isn't our stomach (Phil 3:19). 

"These kiddos sure are driving you crazy. You have the right to get angry/annoyed at them." Yes, my kiddos often don't act as they should, but their sin doesn't give me license to sin. God calls me to love even under provocation...to teach and train those children He has given me. Plus, He's using them in my sanctification process as much as me in theirs. I may feel unable to respond rightly, but God's promised that He won't give me any temptation I can't overcome through His strength (1 Cor 10:13). 

"You are doing more than your share, they should be helping/contributing." Yes, perhaps that is the case, but  does that really matter? Do I really want what I deserve...namely hell apart from Christ's work in my life? No. So, why shouldn't I be willing to give someone else what they don't "deserve?" I am called to do to others as I would have them do to me...not do to others as they do to you (Luke 6:31). That is a radical difference. 

Well, those are some examples from my life that pop up oftentimes daily. How important it is to remember that God is not limiting me but loving me when He calls me to certain standards...that time with Him is better spent than time in bed...that self-control tastes better than more cookies...that patient discipling of my kiddos pays greater dividends than reacting in my flesh...that selfless service is better than standing on my rights. Although all these things are a fight against my flesh, I never regret choosing God's way when I do. 

And, on the other hand, Satan is not loving me but limiting me. He wants me in bondage to my flesh...he really doesn't care about what's best for me and those around me. That's really quite a scary thought when you look at it that way. May I be more aware of his deception in my life...

James had his Sr. prom tonight
he went with sweet Eve, another exchange student from China
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

G-Ruth-A said...

Thanks for sharing, Wendy!

Your garden looks lovely and matched Eve's lovely gown perfectly!