There seem to be certain moments in parenting life where you feel like, "Wow, they actually are getting it...my efforts have not be in vain." Many days I know I feel like I repeat the same things over and over again...don't bug your sister...stop doing that...you forgot to put your shoes away...where are the scissors...haven't you finished yet...are you listening...chew with your mouth closed...who left the door open...etc,etc.
But, then, there are moments where God extends grace and you see that your kiddos actually are maturing, they are growing up, they may even become responsible adults someday. :) I think for the parents it's often harder to realize that as you are with your kiddos day in and day out, noticing all their little (and big) faults. But, when you look back over a span of time, it's so delightful to see how they have progressed. I know especially when they were younger, it was hard to see much fruit from all your labors. But, take heart, it does come in it's time...press on, be diligent, don't grow weary.
This week, I feel like we've reached a somewhat new stage. Hannah, especially, seems to have reached a point where she is taking more responsibility on her own, following through, and not grumbling too much about it. As I mentioned earlier, she was a super help during VBS for me even leading a couple of sections each day we did story tent. I have been able to see her think through things, figure out a solution/better idea, and then implement them...that's super fun for a parent.
Josh, also, has been making more mature decisions. The other day, he walked into the house and noticed he was tracking dirt in. Rather, than keep on going and ignoring it; he stopped and vacuumed up the dirt! Amazing! All the myriad of times calling the kids back to pick up/do something they neglected paid off...at least for that time :).
Anyways, I just wanted to share that kids do eventually get it...somehow, even though it often doesn't feel like it, it does start to sink in. I remember reading many years ago something about a conversation between Susanna Wesley and her husband (don't quote me on this...it's a loose recollection). He basically said, "Why do you keep telling the kids the same thing over and over again...you must have said that 99 times already." She responded, "Well, maybe they'll get it on the 100th one." I figured if the mother of the amazing John and Charles Wesley felt like she was saying the same thing again and again until they got it, and eventually they did, then I shouldn't feel too discouraged having to do that as well. Keep pressing onward...

No comments:
Post a Comment