One of the authors Dave and I have enjoyed over this past year or so is Randy Alcorn. He has been particularly challenging to us in the area of finances and money management. I wouldn't say we agree with all his theology in all areas, but we have greatly appreciated his insight into living for eternity. He has a novel out called Safely Home that I read sometime last year. What a great, challenging read. It is about two roommates who are both professed Christians; one is Chinese and goes back to China, the other stays in America in a very comfortable job. At one point, they meet up and the book tells about the differences between "Chinese" Christianity and "American" Christianity...very insightful and convicting. There is some of Alcorn's understanding of heaven talked about in it which you may or may not agree with (and may be somewhat surprising if you haven't read his Heaven book), but it doesn't affect the quality and greatness of the book (it's actually quite thought-provoking). So, if you have some extra reading time, you won't regret picking up this book.
from 2002
