Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Work in Progress

We only really have control over ourselves. I think that to myself today as I've disciplined the youngest child, yet again, for disobedience. I don't really have control over the choices he makes, yes I train and correct, encourage and exhort, but he must ultimately make the choice.
However, I've found that if I am able to make the choice to discipline patiently and lovingly, his disobedience doesn't unnerve me as it does so often when I respond wrongly. I am just as much the work in progress, and I rejoice in the small steps forward.
Hannah asked me this afternoon, "How can you be so patient with Josh?" I laugh. God has greatly been working on me over the past few years to love when kiddos are unlovable, to view the end result rather than just the immediate annoyance, to value our relationship rather than the schedule getting accomplished. It is hard to keep the perspective right, to remember it's not all about me, that I have been given a precious treasure in my children that I have for so short a time. But, what assurance there is in knowing I have done what is best, what is right, what is pleasing to God regardless of the choices all others make.
Phil 1:6 He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
I came across some old archives of Ann Voskamp's today and there are so many treasures to be found there. If you have a few free minutes and need a fresh look on parenting, I recommend you take a peak.
from 2007

Posted by Picasa