Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tomato Basil Tart

With all these delicious tomatoes teeming on our plants, I thought I'd post a most yummy tomato recipe. I've had this since our time back in residency, 10 plus years ago. It's one of our favorites, and I make it a couple of times each summer.
Tomato Basil Tart
Pie Crust (I just use the frozen kind)
1 1/2 c Mozzarella cheese - grated
4 medium tomatoes
1 c basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 c mayo
1/4 c Parmesan cheese - grated
1/8 t pepper
Bake crust according to directions. Cut tomatoes into wedges (I just slice them for simplicity) and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle baked pie crust with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Arrange tomatoes over melted cheese. In food processor, combine basil and garlic - cover and process till coarsely chopped (I skip this step and just sprinkle chopped basil and garlic over tomatoes). Sprinkle mixture over tomatoes. In medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella cheese, mayo, Parmesan cheese and pepper. Spoon cheese mixture over basil mixture spreading evenly to cover top. Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes.
Some neat fog we had last year
Posted by Picasa