Monday, October 11, 2010

The Children's Shakespeare

When I was reading A Charlotte Mason Companion this summer, Andreola made a case for the inclusion of Shakespeare. Now, I have never really been a fan of Shakespeare, probably because I really don't understand half of what he is saying and don't really have the patience to take the time and figure it out. But, since she was so positive about it, I figured I would put aside my prejudices and try it out. There is a volume by Nesbit entitled The Children's Shakespeare. So, I requested it from the library. We received it and read it aloud during our lunch time. The stories were of a pleasant length, and it was more of a retelling than traditional Shakespeare.

I must say I actually now understand what his plays are about, but I am no more liking them than I previously had. They are just odd and not of much value in my opinion. The kids thought they were quite funny as people were falling in love left and right (we haven't really read any other stories of that sort). Also many of them seemed to have a similar story line with people thinking other people are dead, then learning their lesson, then magically the people are really still alive. So, anyways, my two cents says they aren't worth reading as there is an abundance of great literature out there. But, on the other hand Shakespeare is still an important historical author who there should be at least a little familiarity with. This book would be a good introduction for a younger audience.




Posted by Picasa