Sorry no post last night/this morning...it's been a maxed out kind of week. Too much on my plate.
I wanted to highlight one of the best books I've read over the last couple of years. It's called Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. He is a good author, easy to read, yet right on target. This book is subtitled "Confronting the Sins We Tolerate." That is an apt description of what it is about. Here is an excerpt from Chapter 2:
Yes, the whole idea of sin may have disappeared from our culture. It may have
been softened in many of our churches so as not to make the audience
uncomfortable. And, sad to say, the concept of sin among many conservative
Christians has been essentially redefined to cover only the obviously gross
sins of our society. The result, then, is that for many morally upright
believers, the awareness of personal sin has effectively disappeared from
their consciences. But it has not disappeared from the sight of God. Rather,
all sin, both the so-called respectable sins of the saints, which we too
often tolerate, and the flagrant sins of society, which we are quick to
condemn, are a disregard for the law of God and are reprehensible in His
sight. Both deserve the curse of God.
He covers some very acceptable sins such as Anxiety and Frustration, Discontentment, Unthankfulness, Pride, Selfishness, Lack of Self-Control, and more. The chapter on Ungodliness was very beneficial for me to understand ungodliness is the root of our sinful choices. There were many accounts I was convicted on and challenged to view sin differently. My only complaint is that the book could not go into each topic in depth. There is also a study guide, which I own, but have not gone through. I can see this being an amazing bible study tool in a small group where the people are willing to be vulnerable and desiring change. I hope you'll pick it up and be encouraged towards greater godliness.
These are some pics from a neat exhibit at the CT Science Center. It allowed you to give the weather forecast against a green screen via a teleprompter.
