Friday, October 29, 2010

Words

So quickly they escape our mouths, so easy to say something that lifts up, so easy to say something that tears down. I've been thinking about my speech this week as earlier on I said something I wish I would not have, something that could easily have been hurtful. As with most regretted words, it was spoken in haste, without any thought, a gut reaction. But, as I've been thinking, God calls us to a higher expectation. He wants our words to be full of grace, like apples of gold in settings of silver. He is not alright with the constant apology following sharp speech; He wants us to be different from the world. He wants us to use only words that are helpful for building others up. Prov 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. That was my senior quote for my high school yearbook. It is so true...how often in our recklessness we speak words that wound a spouse, a child, a friend.

On the other hand, today I received words that were hurtful to me, and as far as I can recollect, unfounded. A verse I have always loved and recalled amidst wrongs spoken about me is: Prov 26:2 Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest. What transpired today was not as extreme as a "curse" but, rather, more of a misunderstanding/miscommunication. I don't do very well when I feel falsely accused...I very much respond with strong feelings and a defense of myself. Although today I felt that explanation was needed, I've been realizing I need to worry less about how others view me, but most of all about having my conscience clear before God.