Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Apple Squares

We enjoyed our first snowfall of the season yesterday. It was quite slushy and didn't really stick, but still seemed like enough of an occasion to make a fire. The kids were excited as we got home and rushed around getting the kindling, logs, and newspapers ready. How wonderful it is to cozy up around a fire and a sweet family.
There hasn't been a recipe for a while so it's about time for one... We picked a number of apples off a friend's tree a week or so ago and they were begging to be baked into something yummy. I, as usual, went to my favorite online source for recipes, Allrecipes.com, and looked up apple stuff. These Apple Squares are simple, very moist, and the smells cooking are just superb. Dave came home shortly after they had been taken out of the oven and loved walking into the delicious aroma.
As some of the reviewers noted, I did make a couple of changes. I doubled the recipe and put it into a 9x13 pan, but I didn't double the topping. I also used 3 cups of apples (for a double recipe) and it turned out just fine. There were no nuts lurking about the house so I just left them out. The recipe turns out pretty sweet so you could cut down the sugar a bit, but I didn't this time around. I plan on making another batch tomorrow...
Posted by Picasa