Time is probably the most precious commodity I have. I like to think that I generally use my time wisely, but sometimes wonder if I am chasing after secondary things. There is a lot of good I do, but am I choosing the best? Over the years, I more and more see the great pain and difficult circumstances so many people face. In those situations, I am likely to be the one to organize meals for someone or recommend a helpful book, but it is hard for me to spend some time with that person and just be there, to listen and encourage. To do that is a real challenge because it doesn't feel productive; nothing is checked off my list; I don't have anything to "show" for my time.
I think God has been working on me in that regard...to remember that to do lists aren't the highest form of godliness...that exalting Christ and building others up is a very worthwhile pursuit. As much as I believe we as Christians should have tidy homes and productive lives, there are a multitude of other more eternal things we should value.
Thankfully, God has allowed a number of commitments in my life to be removed recently, and so maybe that will give me more opportunity to show mercy and compassion to those in need...Christ is such a challenging example to us as Someone who always took the time for people despite the many pressures on His time. May we be more like Him...
Mt 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
2 Cor 1:3, 4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
from 2008


