Friday, February 4, 2011

Bud, Not Buddy

We flew through the reading of Bud, Not Buddy this past week or so. The kids really liked it and asked for it to be read whenever we had a few spare minutes. The first couple of chapters were a bit much for Hannah who is quite sensitive to people being mean to each other - the chapters told about some abuse Bud went through at the hands of a short lived foster home. Basically this book is about a boy, Bud, whose mother died a few years before and how he searches for the man he believes to be his father. There is a bit of twist towards the end in how the book wraps up.
As much fun as this book was, I'm not sure it is one that I can necessarily recommend. There is little to no character value in it...Bud has this list of Rules and Things to Have a Funner Life and Make a Better Liar Out of Yourself...many things on this list definitely are insights at looking at life through a kid's eyes, but focusing on that type of thing is not very helpful. Many of the parts that made us laugh were Bud's comments about different people/places he met/went. But, again, knowing what goes on in a 10 year old's mind doesn't really generate qualities I am seeking to develop in my kiddos. There is also this very brief, probably a couple of sentences, section about a smooch between a young girl and Bud - I just mention that because I skipped it as not something I particularly wanted Hannah to fixate on.
I guess this is probably sounding like a negative review, and in some ways it is. However, it is not a terrible book nor one that will ruin a person reading it, and it does a decent job at depicting life in the Great Depression for a young black boy. I'd encourage you to skim the preview pages on Amazon before deciding whether this would be a good fit for your family.

Posted by Picasa