Even as a teenager I remember thinking that it is only fair to hold someone accountable for what you have told them is the expectation...that you can't just expect someone to read your mind and know what you want them to do. As my kids have gotten older, and seemingly more capable, I often forget this principle. There are many times where I tell them to do something, but don't take the time to clearly explain what needs to be done. As an adult, the process seems obvious to me, but it is not always the case with my kiddos.
I find that this can be a source of frustration for me when I go to check up on a job assigned and see that it is done either incompletely, wrongly, or poorly. As parents, we need to be diligent in defining our expectations and then confirming that the job is being done as desired. It really isn't fair to get upset with a child who legitimately doesn't know/understand what should be done...on the other hand, if the expectation is known, poor work requires consequences.
Even basic things such as making a bed, how to put away clothes, what to do with used tissues, etc. often need to be specifically instructed on. We, as people, tend to look for the short-cut, the easy way out...only with discipline will we complete a task with excellence. (I guess we as parents need to be striving for that, too, then?!?!??!)
This week I want to be better at clarity in my expectations of my kiddos...
from Dave's residency graduation
