Friday, February 25, 2011

Norman Rockwell

We began a new activity a couple of months ago that I think I might have mentioned before...in reading Andreola's book, A Charlotte Mason Companion, she mentions the concept of Picture Study. The idea is that you spend some time looking at a picture and appreciating all that is going on in it. Although I think her point is more to familiarize yourself with time-honored artists, I believe few artists paint a story in a picture as well as Norman Rockwell. So, using my VAL money, I purchased a book of Rockwell pictures (I may end up buying another for myself).
Generally on weekends when I'm looking to fill a bit of time, the kids and I pile on the couch and flip through some pages. On each two-page spread, there is a picture on the right hand side and a brief description on the left. I try and hide the description until the kids have come up with what they think is going on and who the people are (occupation, age, financial status, personality, etc.). Sometimes they'll need the title to help - this has also been a beneficial exercise for the kids to now recognize things from years past like a barber's shaving razor, spectacles, and milk bottles.
After we've discussed the page and read the important parts of the description, we'll move on to another page. We probably do about 6-8 per sitting, and the kids always beg for more. A very delightful exercise...maybe when we're done with this compilation, we move onto others like Monet, Renoir, etc.
While I'm on the subject of art, we have a great game called Masterpiece that is an art auction game. The kids really enjoy it, and it does a good job at introducing them to a smattering of artists. I just read a comment that said a mom gives an extra $50K (in the game) for each child who can name the artist and title...I need to begin doing that as well. :)
Posted by Picasa