A couple of summers ago during Ladies' Bible Study a question I've forgotten was given an answer something like this... "I want to be like a still, quiet lake unruffled by what is going on." Basically the idea that this lady would be able to rest in God amidst whatever was swirling around here in the world.
That concept is something I've thought about over these years and worked towards being. There is generally always a good amount of things going on in my life, and rather than responding to the busyness with frantic words, actions, and feelings; I've tried to slow my inner rushing down and be calm.
There are a number of reasons for that...one, I am less likely to snap at my family. Two, I don't feel that God is glorified in frenzied living. Three, God will only give me what I can accomplish, so if I'm following His lead, His strength will be sufficient.
So, you ask, how do I practically accomplish that? I guess my main answer is to be as organized and pre-prepared as you can. If something can be done ahead of time, I try and do it - from setting the table the day before for company, to setting out ingredients/cutting them up to help baking/cooking go quicker/smoother. I am also a list person when my brain is getting maxed out to ensure that all the pieces are accounted for and will be completed. Knowing when you've reached your max and staying below that point is another thing to be aware of. Also, being particular about what I am willing to give my time to.
Just one last thought...it is amazing how much we can actually control our emotions by making the decision to not react, but respond in a determined, God-honoring way. Don't be captive to your emotions, but overcome them by choosing to please God rather than self in all situations.
That concept is something I've thought about over these years and worked towards being. There is generally always a good amount of things going on in my life, and rather than responding to the busyness with frantic words, actions, and feelings; I've tried to slow my inner rushing down and be calm.
There are a number of reasons for that...one, I am less likely to snap at my family. Two, I don't feel that God is glorified in frenzied living. Three, God will only give me what I can accomplish, so if I'm following His lead, His strength will be sufficient.
So, you ask, how do I practically accomplish that? I guess my main answer is to be as organized and pre-prepared as you can. If something can be done ahead of time, I try and do it - from setting the table the day before for company, to setting out ingredients/cutting them up to help baking/cooking go quicker/smoother. I am also a list person when my brain is getting maxed out to ensure that all the pieces are accounted for and will be completed. Knowing when you've reached your max and staying below that point is another thing to be aware of. Also, being particular about what I am willing to give my time to.
Just one last thought...it is amazing how much we can actually control our emotions by making the decision to not react, but respond in a determined, God-honoring way. Don't be captive to your emotions, but overcome them by choosing to please God rather than self in all situations.
