Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cranberry Recipes

Wow, it has been four months since I posted a recipe! That is crazy...did you wonder if I had just stopped cooking for all this time? Anyways, my sis asked for a couple of recipes that I make with cranberries so I thought I'd share them with you as well...

Cranberry Sauce (based off recipe from allrecipes.com)

12 oz fresh or frozen cranberries (about 3 cups)
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c orange juice
(I think those are the ingredients and amounts I used)

Directions : In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice. Stir in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop (about 10 minutes). The longer you cook, the thicker the sauce will be. Remove from heat and place sauce in a bowl. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.


Cranberry/Rasberry Jello Salad 
(make sure to at least double this recipe, I normally quadruple it because it's one of my favorites)

1 3 oz Raspberry Jello
1 1/2 c boiling water (I normally put in a little less to make sure it sets)
8 oz whole cranberry sauce
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c nuts (pecans and walnuts work best)
1/4 t orange peel (I don't add this)

Directions: Dissolve jello, chill till syrupy (should be just beginning to be lumpyish, maybe like molasses would be). Mix in cranberry sauce, sour cream, nuts and orange peel (works best to stir up cranberry sauce and sour cream first so they don't have lumps). Chill till set. Serve with whip cream. I normally make it the day before. 

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread
this is kind of an adult type bread, my kiddos don't really like it
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c fresh or frozen cranberries
1 c walnuts
3/4 c orange juice
2 T crisco (I often wonder if butter would work as well, but have never tried it)
1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions: Mix together dry ingredients, add cranberries and walnuts and mix to coat. Heat orange juice (not too hot), add melted crisco and egg together. Blend into dry ingredients. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees for large loaf or 45 minutes for 3 small loaves. 

couple more pics from Leavenworth - my kids love taffy!

crazy hats
 
 
I thought this sign was funny for the hot sauce
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: