Thursday, January 13, 2011

Goodwill

I generally dislike shopping. There have been times where I have started out really excited about shopping because I have particular things I need, just to get a headache a short time in. Somehow what I'm looking for is invariably difficult to find and if found, more than I really wanted to pay.
However on some occasions, I have actually been pleased with what bargains/treasures I came away with. This past Tuesday I spent a long time shopping...buying some things for my parent's birthdays to complete their house, some clothes for me, and then I quickly stopped in at Goodwill. (Please note, all thrift stores are called Goodwill by me...I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what I do.) Sometimes, you can find amazing things at thrift stores...Tuesday was one of them. It is always incredible to me how you can look at multiple stores for dress shirts for Josh or long dresses for Hannah and find nothing pleasant, but hit the jackpot at Goodwill. I came away with two lovely dresses for Hannah and one jean skirt, four dress shirts for Josh, one incredible sweater made in Norway, and a more regular type shirt, all for about $35.
The careful observer may notice that all those clothes won't fit my kiddos right now, but that's okay...I frequently buy items prior to when they can wear them. It's so nice to open up a box and already have a number of new clothes without having to go out and buy them at full price.
I also buy lots of books at Goodwill, occasionally clothes for me and household items. In our throw-away society you can find some great things.
For any of you who live near me...here's my take on our local thrift stores. Salvation Army on Miller - best price on kids books, terrible selection of kids clothes. Goodwill in Wenatchee, south end of town - best selection of them all, middle priced, kind of grungy. Goodwill in East Wenatchee by Safeway - nicest store, best organized, most expensive.
Here's the latest purchases, freshly laundered

Posted by Picasa