Well, 14 years ago today, Dave and I said our wedding vows in front of about 50 people in Northridge, CA. We wrote our own vows and had a simple wedding. I was 19 and Dave was beginning med school in a couple months. Statistically, our marriage should not be as strong and wonderful as it has been. So, today I was thinking about how we've enjoyed 14 overall delightful years of marriage. Here's what I came up with:
1. Same foundation - we are both believers in Jesus Christ and look to scripture as the answer to any issues that arise.
2. Acceptance of Roles - I know this is so politically incorrect, but we both accept our unique places in our marriage - Dave as provider and me as household manager (pretty fancy sounding, huh? :)). He is the leader, I am the help meet. I don't generally try to control and Dave tries to keep my best interest in mind.
3. Not holding grudges - we don't let grievances build up for any length of time - we are very open in our communication about what we like and don't like.
4. Being easy going - there are very few things in life worth getting worked up about and causing a rift in our marriage. We're both pretty reasonable about our expectations for each other.
5. Knowing what is important to the other - Dave appreciates the house generally tidy, clean clothes, and a decent meal. Since I know that, I try to fulfill that for him. For me, appreciation is such a huge affirmation to me and Dave is great about that.
I guess that's all I've come up with for now, although I'm sure there are many more. I'm so thankful I can say that I've married my best friend and am looking forward to many more years together.
Here's some pictures of the pictures from that day. Bear with my poor photo abilities, but I didn't know how to not get the flash in the middle. :)
