Friday, May 7, 2010

Productivity

Last night we were invited over to a couple's house from our church. After a pleasant dinner, the wife and I spent some time in the kitchen handwashing the dishes. I have not done that for a long time...but what it made me realize was how much I enjoy being productive while I am spending time with someone. I'm not trying to say that I don't enjoy the occasional coffee or lunch with a friend, but I so much more enjoy accomplishing something as well. There have been times where I have pulled weeds, folded clothes, chopped veggies, trimmed roses, or gone for a walk with a buddy, and to me, it makes the time doubly enjoyable. I don't believe work is a four letter word and we need to do all we can to avoid it, but rather that we should enjoy the opportunity to create order and redeem the time. One thing that was interesting for me to realize was that work was instituted before the Fall (although without the same level of strife). That obviously means that it is not the product of sin and that it has value.

Proverbs 14:23 23 In all labor there is profit...