Friday, May 21, 2010
The Emergent Church
The Emergent Church (Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt, Rob Bell, Tony Jones to name a few key names) has popped up in Dave and my conversations with people a number of various times in the last couple years in a surprising variety of places. It has frequently come up in regards to people I wouldn't expect and with people who I generally think have a solid, biblical foundation. It is basically a post-modern approach to Christianity that doesn't like being dogmatic about doctrine and is more concerned about having a conversation and living like Jesus lived than addressing the Christian life the way the bible lays out. Anyways, I just finished reading the book Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be). It was very enlightening and in many ways concerning to read. Although on the surface the Emergent Church sounds great - break away from boring, traditional, critical church to a people-embracing, life-enhancing, society-helping church. But, sadly, when you step away from the so very important and required truths of scripture, you lose the gospel message and just become a religion of morality. So, if you want to find out more about this new and growing movement, I'd highly recommend this book.