We finished handwriting up on Monday. This is the first year we've used this curriculum, A Reason for Handwriting, and it has been a good fit. The daily lessons are quite short...maybe 4-5 words which I have the kids write 5 times if there is sufficient space. Josh does 2 daily lessons on the first day because his lessons are a bit shorter and then he writes out his day 3 and ABCs on the second day. Hannah, doing cursive, does 1.5 daily lessons each day. On Thursdays, they write out a practice verse. Each Friday they write out the verse on coloring sheets as neat as possible and then color the sheets. The thing I like best about this program is that it is meant to give kids opportunity to share a verse of scripture with someone. It has allowed us to encourage others and share scripture with people we might otherwise not have. Another thing that has made handwriting quite palatable is that I read to the kids while they have their handwriting time. That has reduced the tediousness of handwriting; plus it allows us another reading opportunity.
Also, if you use A Reason For Spelling, it corresponds to the Handwriting verse for the same level each week. It is also a good program...I think I reviewed it in an earlier post.
I know this still isn't particularly great handwriting, but Josh has come a long way.
