Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Me Time

I was emailing with a friend about this concept this evening and thought I'd write a smidge about it on my blog as well. Although I completely agree that we all need some time to ourselves, I think we as Americans go overboard with it and think of it as something deserved rather than an occasional blessing. Marriage and motherhood are huge commitments to serve each and every day (sometimes every moment) of our lives. As wives, we are called to be the helpmeets; as moms, we are called nurture and instruct. To accomplish that, we must have self-denial and give up so many things we would rather be doing. Having an eternal perspective means that I will see the reward in the hard hours of parenting rather than the fleeting moments of pleasure spent the way I would choose. I do, as a person, need time to myself. I go a little crazy when I am around people lots and lots. It is important to me to spend time in bible study and exercise. So, in order to fit those kinds of things in, I get up a bit earlier than the kids (at least that's the plan) and spend time in those pursuits. But, I have found if I try and cram my wants into the day, I get very frustrated and unhappy with the kids for getting in the way. They, and Dave, are my God-given priorities right now, and I need to embrace that wholeheartedly rather than pursue my own leisure activity.

Here is an article I read a long time ago that talks about Me Time as well.