Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sin

Although these issues haven't been directly related to me and my family, I have had a number of connections with friends that have had issues with adultery, pornography, drugs, alcohol, pending divorce, etc. over the last couple of months. And, it is so incredibly sad to see how when people choose sin, their loved ones and families are devastated by their selfish decision. We keep being told it's all about us and so it's not really a surprise when we start to take that concept in and stop being all that concerned about others.

The world really is a mess apart from Christ, and as we talked about in bible study a couple of weeks ago it is just the Spirit's restraining power that keeps the evil even in check as much as it is. And, as we'll be learning this week, it's really not surprising that it is messed up because "For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." Rom 8:7-8

All these problems cause me to have a number of responses...
One, to be more compassionate - I've been challenged by the fact that many people have many more hurts in their lives than I have any idea about so I need to be extending a greater measure of grace to others.
Two, to be better about praying for people, especially in their marriages - Satan would love to totally undermine marriage as it is God's ideal plan to train up the next generation and be a means of sanctification for the husband and wife as well as an example to the unbelieving world.
Three, thankfulness for the grace that has been extended to me - I don't deserve the blessings I have been given. Yes, Dave and I purpose to be obedient to God's word in all things, but we constantly fall short and yet God extends grace.
Four, greater desire for heaven to come - when we realize the fallenness and lousiness of this world, we desire heaven much more. If everything here was lovely and super, our hearts wouldn't be drawn home as much. What a day when sin will be no more...

No comments: