The past two Wednesday nights I've had the unique privilege of leading a small group at Haven of Hope. If you remember, they are a homeless women's facility in our town. They have a number of bible studies during the week that the ladies are welcome to join, and their leader was gone for this night one, so Teria asked if I could cover. I had originally said no with the Holy Spirit study consuming my time, but when I found out she hadn't been able to get anyone coupled with the fact that I've wanted to make more relationships there than we have, I figured God was nudging me to go for it.
I've taught a number of bible studies and classes over the years, but never to people who really don't know the first thing about the bible. Many of the ladies seem to believe they are saved (I don't know enough of them personally to see fruit, so I'm not sure if that's the reality). They have been an overall quiet group, but very interested in what the bible has to say and how it relates to them. Some of their theories/beliefs are pretty crazy, but in other ways, they have a simple faith that is neat to see.
We went through Ps 13 the first week on how God seems far away, but by prayer and a right view of Who He is, we really see that He is near - that seemed to be an encouragement to many of them. And, last night, we did Ps 14-15 on man's depravity and who can enter God's presence. It was a great opportunity to give a clear gospel message - some of the ladies seemed genuinely to recognize God's great gift to us. How those two studies affect these ladies in the long run, I'll never know, but it was great to come alongside them and hopefully help them in their knowledge of Who God is.
Dave and I have been talking a lot about a primary responsibility God has given us...to make disciples. That is pretty hard to do when you aren't investing in other's lives, particularly non-Christians or new Christians. In the nice, little bubble I have around me, there are very few non-Christians that I come into contact with on any regular basis. And, so, it was really great to have the opportunity to live that out a little and share with those that don't really know or at the very least don't know much about the gospel. I hope that you'll take the opportunities God gives to spread some light in this dark world...it will be as great a blessing to you as to the ones you're sharing with.
The kids made edible birthday cards for Dave -
take an egg yolk and color it with food coloring, then "paint" a message on a cookie:
sugar cookies will work best, but we needed chocolate in our house :)
take an egg yolk and color it with food coloring, then "paint" a message on a cookie:
sugar cookies will work best, but we needed chocolate in our house :)

No comments:
Post a Comment