Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Madeleine Takes Command

This was a great book...it had all the elements of a great book - real story, exciting adventure, informational history, underdog comes out ahead, family togetherness, all turns out good in the end, etc. :) It truly is an amazing story. The story line kind of bogs down a little as the foundation is set and you are given background on who the characters are and what is going on, but not for long. It takes place in the 17th century in New France (part of Canada) while England and France are at war abroad, and New France is constantly on guard against the Native Indians. There are different outpost kind of places in various areas that specific family groups are overseeing. On this occasion, 14 year-old Madeleine is left in charge of the fort while her father is away at war and her mother has to conduct business in Montreal. And, it's at that time that the local Iroquois Indians decide to attack. With an extremely small number of people, Madeleine takes command and withholds any advances by the Indians.
I've become soft in my old age and cry sometimes at books...this was one of them. My kids thought it was very odd...they just don't understand the fortitude it takes to persevere under incredibly adverse circumstances and then have it end. I guess I really don't get that level of endurance either, but you truly heave a huge sigh of relief when the reinforcements come and the siege is over. So, I've spoiled part of the book for you...but I had already said it came out alright in the end. :) Hope you'll pick it up, especially if you are reading about that time period in history. I seemed to have some vague recollection of this story from SOTW Vol 3.
And, lastly, reading this book opened my eyes to a new publisher of historical fiction (living books)...Bethelem Books. I have another of their books to be read coming up soon here and will review that when we are done.
I know this is a random picture, but I really liked these huge clovers close by Mount St. Helens
Posted by Picasa

No comments: