So, my thoughts for today...be willing to give of yourself. Think of how you can best love another person and then do it. When we went through the Gifts of the Spirit this summer, it struck me how the love chapter, 1 Cor 13, was sandwiched between a whole list of gifts in 1 Cor 12 and how to use some gifts in chap 14. And, as I've been reading 1 John, love is a predominant idea there as well. It seems as though loving is a critical piece in Christianity. I know everyone knows that, but do we really live it? or are we constantly putting our self, our needs, our desires first?
Another thought along with that is...are we loving others how they want to be loved? I'm not a total, overwhelming supporter of The 5 Love Languages, but I have definitely seen that people respond in different ways to different things/actions. Today I was challenged to stop and spend the time to show love even though there were other things I would have rather been doing. And, that relationship is better off because of it. I read this quote earlier today that is very good reminder for me..."Sympathy is not a time-efficient quality." (Sally Clarkson in Educating the Whole-Hearted Child - verdict still out on the book)
Showing real love is not going to fit into a schedule. It requires willingness to give up our plans and desires because relationship is more important than both of those things. True love requires sacrifice. Christ as the ultimate example died on the cross for us...may we also be willing to die to self for others benefit.
1 Cor 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment