I came across a great new set of readers by Christian Light that have wonderful character lessons and begin with a scripture verse. I was reading a couple to the kids this evening before bed, and we both greatly enjoyed them. We also have them in our church bag, and Josh finished one off over the course of two weeks or so. They are available from 1st up through 8th grade. There are even vocab words chosen out in bold and a sort of thought question to begin the text. So, if you wanted, you could use them as a school text as well. We've just read them for enjoyment.
I have found that there is not a lot of specific grade level readers that have good lessons and are not full of pointless stories. These have a wide range of stories with a couple from the Bible added in. There are also some poems scattered about. You can preview some stories via the Rod and Staff website. I've just gotten mine via Amazon used, but R&S's price is pretty reasonable for a hardback book. These are definite keepers.
