Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I am. I can...

...I ought. I will.
This motto was used by Charlotte Mason to help in the formation of habits. I've been reading a book based on her philosophy of schooling (which I'll review when I'm done), and came across this section which was very helpful. Here is a fuller explanation of that motto:
I am - We have the power of knowing ourselves.
I can - We are conscious of power to do what we perceive we ought to do.
I ought - We have within us a moral judge to whom we feel ourselves subject, who points out and requires us our duty.
I will - We determine to exercise that power with a volition that is in itself a step in the execution of what we will.
The thought she is getting across is that at every point in our lives we know what we want to do, know what we ought to do, can choose rightly between them, and should in fact make that choice. We are not subject to our feelings, whims, desires, etc. when they go against what we know is right or ought to be done. I have often said to my kids to "choose kindness/happy heart/to obey/self-control/etc." I know that life is made up of choices.
When we look at life in that way, we are able to make deliberate decisions. When my kiddos are behaving badly, I can choose to respond kindly and patiently rather than react in anger. When my husband isn't doing things how I'd like, I can choose to love and honor him rather than react in crankiness. When no one signs up for ministry needs, I can choose to serve happily and willingly rather than react in frustration.
It has been a priority for me these past couple of weeks to not be controlled by my reactions, but be in control of my reactions. God calls us to an incredibly high standard and unless I am actively aware of that, I will just fumble along my way not growing more like Him as a habit in my life. We are told to "do what feels right." God calls us to "do what is right." May we work on making deliberate choices to His glory and our godliness.
If you love me, you will obey what I command. John 14:15


Posted by Picasa