Monday, July 19, 2010

Silver Falls

I was called a "calm mother" today. I don't think anyone has ever said that to me before. A friend and I were hiking; her single, and me with 5 kids in tow (7 years and up). We hiked around beautiful Silver Falls in Entiat. I guess her comment about today was true...I really don't get worked up about kids running around trees and climbing over rocks or getting a bit out of my sight. In each situation I basically evaluate the potential for problems. Anything that has possible death or major pain involved, I warn the kids about, but, otherwise, I try to let them explore and pursue their own way. I guess this could involve a greater degree of danger, but, thankfully, we haven't yet gone to the ER. It is also based upon my knowledge of my kiddos (and the cousins) and their capabilities as well as the fact that they obey reasonably well so I don't have to keep yelling after them.
One time an elderly neighbor, also on a walk with us, called my parenting style "controlled chaos". I don't know if that was supposed to be good or bad, but there is truth in that. To me, kids running about and inventing their own fun is a wonderful sight. I love my kids enjoying nature to the fullest and getting some exercise in as well. But at the same time, there are parameters set and understood boundaries. So, whatever type mother I am, I'm glad my kiddos enjoy the outdoors, and we have so many wonderful places to go...



Posted by Picasa