Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolved

New Years Resolutions have never been my forte...I very rarely make them and rarely keep them if made. Over these last couple of weeks of pretty much free for all in many areas of my life that I should have been better at, I've thought about how important it is to be self-disciplined. It's not a word I particularly like in my flesh...I'd much rather be indulgent and free from expectation, but as a Christian, I'm not called to please myself, but to take up my cross and follow Christ...to be a picture of Him.
During this Christmas break I've had a chance to read more of the book, Embraced by the Cross. It's been a great read that has challenged me to see myself in light of the Cross: a concept that is critical biblically, but not one I've spent much time thinking on. One of the points mentioned is that on the Cross, I died with Christ and was set free from the bondage of sin (Rom 6), and that I am no longer controlled by my sin nature...that in all situations I can conquer through Christ's work in me. For me, I am so prone to excuse my sinfulness as just a weakness, or no big deal, or as a result of another's actions. That is not acceptable, I must take responsibility and determine to live a life that is worthy of Christ (Eph 4:1). I must be self-disciplined and Spirit-controlled. It can be done...not by my might or abilities, but by the Lord's work in me. My hope for this upcoming year is that I may grow to be less controlled by self and more controlled by a desire to please my Savior in all areas. The areas most challenging at this moment for me are my eating, my words, my reactions with the kiddos and sometimes Dave, and spending time in prayer.
If any of you are looking for some good resolutions to make, Edwards made an amazing list that is worth reading and aspiring to in many areas.
from 2006
Posted by Picasa