As we do our second Nature Study today, I've been thinking about drawing. Even in just this short time or with the smidge we did of Nature Study last year, I've come to realize that drawing, in a realistic way-not abstractly, is very much about observation. Beneath the surface of whatever the object is, there are very many common shapes. Once you recognize that, the drawing becomes so much easier. Also, reflecting for a time on the gradation of color is extremely helpful. Objects very often appear an obvious color until you take a moment to really study it. I think using color variation differentiates the level of art. For example, children very frequently (and myself as well) will use just one color for a flower/fruit/toy/etc. But, when you vary the color, it seems to really make the object come to life.
I must say, I've really enjoyed the time we've taken in our nature studies. Just the base level of stopping and observing the absolute amazing creation God has given us is benefit enough.
