Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just Do It

I often think I should be a spokesperson for Nike. Not that I can actually remember ever owning a pair of their shoes…but I say their slogan frequently to myself. It goes something like this: “I really don’t want to clean up this huge mess…Just do it.” “I really don’t want to begin our math lesson right now…Just do it.” “I really don’t want to make dinner…Just do it.” “I really don’t want to get up and exercise…Just do it.” I think you get the picture.

There are so many things my lazy, self-indulgent flesh pushes against in daily life. So many times I want to gratify my desires rather than follow through on the duties given me. Sometimes I simply have to make the decision to “Just do it.” There’s nothing magical about it…it needs to be done so I do it. It’s easy to rationalize a great multitude of reasons why I should do something more enjoyable, but I’m always thankful when I follow through with what needs to be done at the moment rather than what I would like to do. Who isn’t glad to have a clean kitchen, a finished math lesson, a pleasant meal, and a healthy body…to name a few outcomes of “Just do it”?

I’ve also found that the more you discipline yourself, the easier it becomes to do the task at hand.

Prov 31:27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
---For any of you interested parties, Nekton are sea creatures that can swim: fish, turtles, sea snakes, sharks, etc. Benthos are sea creatures that can't swim: lobsters, sea anemones, sea stars, etc. Pretty neat, huh?
Here are some pics from our first History Project - The Crystal Palace under Queen Victoria


Posted by Picasa