I wish I could say that we had a great first week; that all my hopes and expectations were realized. Sadly, that was not so...it was actually quite a disappointing and discouraging beginning. There were many moments when I wished I had a public school hot line to immediately enroll my kiddos. There were many moments when I wondered why in the world do I homeschool!?!??!!
One thing I've learned over these past 4 years of homeschooling is that this process is just as much about perfecting me as it is about schooling/bringing up my kiddos. It is very trying to be patient with the child who just won't sit still and pay attention, who whines the minute the math page is brought out, who can't figure something out they completely understood just the other day. I know that in most any other situation my patience would not be tried anywhere close to as much as it is during homeschooling. God knows I need to work on that area in my life so He continues to give me opportunities to grow. :)
So, why do I homeschool? Why do I persevere even when it seems completely futile? Here's a couple of reasons, not necessarily in order of priority:
- I really like being with my kids
- I feel like homeschooling allows me the best and most opportunity to train them up as God calls me to do
- Their character is a significant priority and being with them so much allows us to focus on areas needing work
- We all learn together
- I know what they are learning and can bring it up whenever an opportunity arises
- We have great flexibility to take a day off when we'd like to
- We're able to easily add chores/playtime/outside time/reading into our regular routine
- They learn what Dave and I feel is important
- We're able to go at their pace
- No homework
- I enjoy teaching and seeing them learn new things
So, there you go...even though I feel that homeschooling is the right choice for our family at this time, I don't feel that it is a moral choice. There are many homeschooling families whose kids turn out terribly and many public/private schooled kids who turn out wonderfully. Each family has to make their decision before the Lord and nurture their children as they believe best. God's grace is sufficient for all situations...and He can be glorified in any schooling choice.
A tea party from earlier this summer
