I haven't seemed to do many homeschool posts lately...thankfully, this past week has been the best yet and we seem to be getting into a normal routine. The schedule has worked quite well and although there are subjects when I feel pressed for time, mostly we have a bit of a buffer to work with.
Another thing that has worked great is manipulating my curriculum. I can't think of any curriculum, perhaps except handwriting, that I follow the way I am "supposed to." To me, curriculum is a bad master, but a good servant. I know my kids and I know the time I have available so I alter things as best fits our needs. I think if you try to follow every jot and tittle in all subjects, you will feel overwhelmed. In some instances, I have probably lost out on a wonderful aspect of a curriculum because I do this, but overall, it's worked well.
So, if you are feeling overwhelmed trying to fit in everything your school books say you should, I encourage you to step back and think of what is really needed. Yes, you may well have smarter kids if you do it all, but I think it is better to have a lower-key attitude and keep the primary goals in view. Each year I've homeschooled, I've seen that the more pleasant and less frazzled mom is, the better school goes..
Another thing that has worked great is manipulating my curriculum. I can't think of any curriculum, perhaps except handwriting, that I follow the way I am "supposed to." To me, curriculum is a bad master, but a good servant. I know my kids and I know the time I have available so I alter things as best fits our needs. I think if you try to follow every jot and tittle in all subjects, you will feel overwhelmed. In some instances, I have probably lost out on a wonderful aspect of a curriculum because I do this, but overall, it's worked well.
So, if you are feeling overwhelmed trying to fit in everything your school books say you should, I encourage you to step back and think of what is really needed. Yes, you may well have smarter kids if you do it all, but I think it is better to have a lower-key attitude and keep the primary goals in view. Each year I've homeschooled, I've seen that the more pleasant and less frazzled mom is, the better school goes..
I love these beautiful wood things (their name escapes me at the moment).
Anyways, Josh has had fun creating with them during our read-a-loud time.
Anyways, Josh has had fun creating with them during our read-a-loud time.
